“I want to feel all there is to feel, he thought. Let me feel tired, now, let me feel tired. I mustn't forget, I'm alive, I know I'm alive, I mustn't forget it tonight or tomorrow or the day after that.”
-Ray Bradbury, Dandelion Wine

Pages

Thursday, November 29, 2012

When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead


Miranda, the main character of When You Reach Me, is a sixth grader who lives with her mother in New York City. Miranda starts the book by explaining that the story she is telling is being told for a mysterious stranger who has been leaving her notes; he has requested that she tell the story of her sixth grade year. As the book progresses, Miranda puzzles over the mysterious notes, the abrupt end to her relationship with her best friend Sal, as well as the curious boy Marcus who seems to continually be in the periphery.
            This is a great story. The underlying mystery keeps you wanting more, while Miranda’s relationship with her mother and schoolmates allows the reader to feel connected to her and her struggles. Miranda’s fascination with A Wrinkle In Time and time travel provides the reader with much to contemplate. I loved this book and would recommend it for any middle schooler who likes science fiction or contemporary fiction. 

No comments:

Post a Comment