“I want to feel all there is to feel, he thought. Let me feel tired, now, let me feel tired. I mustn't forget, I'm alive, I know I'm alive, I mustn't forget it tonight or tomorrow or the day after that.”
-Ray Bradbury, Dandelion Wine

Pages

Friday, November 30, 2012

Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark by Alvin Schwartz


Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark is a collection of classic scary stories collected from various folklore and then retold by Alvin Schwartz.  This creepy book even includes various urban legends, such as the babysitter being called from inside the house, and the man with the hook. Although Alvin Schwarz’s prose is certainly simple, it does not diminish the creep factor in the slightest. Adding to the effect are the awesomely gruesome illustrations, by Stephen Gammell, that accompany every story.  Although the reading level is certainly appropriate for upper elementary school students, this book has some stories that even creeped me, a 25 year old, out. Reader beware, spooky and gruesome stories inside!  

1 comment:

  1. I remember this book! I loved it. I may even still have a copy somewhere.

    ReplyDelete