“I want to feel all there is to feel, he thought. Let me feel tired, now, let me feel tired. I mustn't forget, I'm alive, I know I'm alive, I mustn't forget it tonight or tomorrow or the day after that.”
-Ray Bradbury, Dandelion Wine

Pages

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Son by Lois Lowry


Son, Lois Lowry’s final novel in The Giver quartet, follows the travels of Gabe’s birth mother, Claire. Once her escape from the oppressive community is secured, Claire, who is lost at sea during a fierce storm, arrives on the shores of a small community nestled on the base of daunting cliffs. Although most of Claire’s memories are faint, she does remember the pain of her son being ripped from her shortly after his birth. As she slowly becomes a beloved part of this new community, Claire becomes and more and more determined to find her son. Although the community is safe and friendly, the cliffs keep the inhabitants from leaving; no one has dared leave except a mangled young shepherd who has graciously offered his knowledge to help Claire leave. As Claire embarks on her journey she encounters a strange figure who will trade the knowledge of where her son is for her youth.
            There have been a lot of reviews out there that say that Lowry has done a disservice to her readers by answering all the questions posed in The Giver and the following novels. I would have to disagree. Son is a beautifully told novel that has characters and problems with depth and brilliance. Lowry once again has outdone herself  by snaring the reader with issues that are both relatable and intriguing. Son is incredibly well written, and Lowry ties the four books together seamlessly. This dystopian novel would be great for junior high and upper elementary students. 

No comments:

Post a Comment