“I want to feel all there is to feel, he thought. Let me feel tired, now, let me feel tired. I mustn't forget, I'm alive, I know I'm alive, I mustn't forget it tonight or tomorrow or the day after that.”
-Ray Bradbury, Dandelion Wine

Pages

Friday, November 30, 2012

Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry


Kira’s life is meager and simple. As the book opens, Kira’s mother has died and she is struggling to find her place in a village that looks down upon her and her crippled leg. Kira has always had a knack for embroidery, and when the council in the village see this they commission her to repair a ceremonial robe. Even though Kira’s life improves, she is now privy to the secrets that town council hides. As her skills grow, Kira becomes more aware of some lurking power that allows her to thread the future into her cloth.
            Gathering Blue is book number two in The Giver Quartet. Although this novel seemingly has nothing to do with The Giver, it is set in the same place a number of years after Jonas’ escape. Lowry’s portrayal of strong willed Kira reflects the same depth and beauty as seen in The Giver. This is a great novel that leaves you wanting to know more about the inhabitants of this strange world. This book is ideal for upper elementary and junior high school students. 

No comments:

Post a Comment