“I want to feel all there is to feel, he thought. Let me feel tired, now, let me feel tired. I mustn't forget, I'm alive, I know I'm alive, I mustn't forget it tonight or tomorrow or the day after that.”
-Ray Bradbury, Dandelion Wine

Pages

Friday, November 30, 2012

Messenger by Lois Lowry


Messenger is the tale of Matty, Kira’s friend from her original village. Matty lives in a village that is a refuge from the harsh surrounding villages with a man named Seer.  Matty is the unofficial messenger for the town as well as the communities surrounding. Very few people manage to go into the dark forest around the village without the forest attacking them. For some reason Matty is able to continually go in and out of the forest with no repercussions. As the people of his town are slowly infiltrated by the foreboding figure Trademaster, Matty is charged with telling the surrounding communities that they will be longer be accepting people into their once friendly village.
            Messenger is book number three in The Giver quartet. Matty is a great character that readers will think very fondly of.  The inclusion of characters in The Giver and Gathering Blue will be a delight and relief to readers. Lowry’s characteristic rich description and masterful story telling will leave the readers anxious to learn of the fate of sweet Matty and his friends. This book is great for upper elementary and junior high students. 

No comments:

Post a Comment