“I want to feel all there is to feel, he thought. Let me feel tired, now, let me feel tired. I mustn't forget, I'm alive, I know I'm alive, I mustn't forget it tonight or tomorrow or the day after that.”
-Ray Bradbury, Dandelion Wine

Pages

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Payback Time by Carl Deuker


Mitch wants nothing else but to write for the school paper. When the new editor assigns him to be the head of the sports section, Mitch, dubbed the Michelin Man because of his weight by his classmates, is anything but thrilled.  Despite his initial hesitancy, Mitch soon becomes wrapped up in sports, as well as in the sports photographer, Kimi. Although Mitch has been directed to focus his writing on Horst Diamond by the football coach, another player, Angel, catches his eye.  Angel has transferred to Mitch’s school and is quickly becoming the star player, but there is an air of mystery surrounding this golden boy, and Mitch is determined to get the bottom of it.
            This is a great sports novel that is also a bit of a mystery. The character Mitch is a great narrator and his struggles will resonate with high school and junior high school students alike. Deuker’s character development is believable and interesting; this is a great book for hesitant boy readers who need a little action to get them hooked. 

No comments:

Post a Comment