“I want to feel all there is to feel, he thought. Let me feel tired, now, let me feel tired. I mustn't forget, I'm alive, I know I'm alive, I mustn't forget it tonight or tomorrow or the day after that.”
-Ray Bradbury, Dandelion Wine

Pages

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Hope Was Here by Joan Bauer


Hope Was Here is a story about a young girl named Hope and her aunt who move from bustling New York City to small town Wisconsin. There they help run the Welcome Stairways Diner. The owner of the diner, G.T., decides shortly after their arrival to run for mayor against the town's current devious and greedy incumbent. With the help of Hope and her new friends from school, and  her new love interest Braverman, G.T’s campaign has a fighting chance against the slimy Eli Millstone.
 I will be honest, Hope Was Here made me cry. Not just the normal shed a tear for the characters in the book, but a full out bawl for Hope and her little family. This is a wonderful book that has great approachable and relatable characters. The plot is engaging and you feel genuinely invested in the characters' lives. This book would be great for middle schoolers.  

No comments:

Post a Comment