“I want to feel all there is to feel, he thought. Let me feel tired, now, let me feel tired. I mustn't forget, I'm alive, I know I'm alive, I mustn't forget it tonight or tomorrow or the day after that.”
-Ray Bradbury, Dandelion Wine

Pages

Friday, November 30, 2012

Charles and Emma: The Darwin's Leap of Faith by Deborah Heiligman


Charles and Emma: The Darwin’s Leap of Faith   is a non-fiction book about Charles Darwin and his wife Emma. It catalogues Darwin’s struggle with faith, as well as much of his life and work. It is an in-depth look at Charles’ and Emma’s relationship and romance as well as the reception and development of Darwin’s theories.
            I will be honest--I had a hard time with this book. Although the subject matter is interesting, I found the writing to be lacking. The text was a bit disjointed and it didn’t flow as smoothly as most biographies I have encountered. Although it is incredibly informative, it is dry in parts and as I said, I had a hard time getting through it. This book is appropriate for junior high students, especially those interested in science and evolution.

No comments:

Post a Comment